Thursday 26 September 2013

First time river fishing!

Sooo I decided to take the day off from work to go fishing with my friend and her friend!  She said we would be out from 6AM to 6PM cuz driving to the place takes a long time.  10:45PM the night before, she walked me through the process of getting the fishing license and salmon stamp.  It's quick and easy, she said.  I didn't sleep til midnight.  However, I managed to rip myself off the bed at 5:30AM to get ready.  She ended up getting here around 6:30AM, and so we got to the river at 7:45AM and by then, lots of people were already there, in the water, in their waders. They're the funny-looking waterproof overalls, not the birds.  I wish I had one, but I don't know if I will pursue this hobby seriously enough to fork over $150+ for one so that I can wade in the water.  But then... I could do all sorts of things in the water with one of those suckers on 8D  We'll see.


We arrive there, and decided to do bank fishing first, as I only had a dinky pair of Tretorn rubber boots that don't even go up to my knees (i.e. useless), and couldn't cross the river at the time.   There was this nice man who was already there on the side, who let us invade his fishing space.  He even gave us a giant spring salmon before he left! My friend made me practice casting with a weight before I was allowed to use the $3 spinning lures.  When I got to use them, I snagged five of them either on the stupid log in front of me, or on the bank side with the grass and dirt.  In my defense, one of the snags was not entirely my fault.  This guy who came later than us decided that it was a fantastic idea to choose a spot 1m away from us.  His line snagged mine, and then my hook got stuck cuz I didn't reel it in fast enough =A=  Anyway, we did that until ~11AM, and decided to hit up the nearest fishing supplies store to replenish, as well as buy new materials to use. Ate a bit.
a friend decided to join us


Spirits and energy renewed, we decided to try the other side of the river, and on the island (so no more grass snagging).  I had to be carried to the island, cuz the boots were too short even for the depth of 30cm. My goal was to get a nibble (from a fish).  Within two hours, I snagged two dying/zombie fish, and finally caught one!  It was a male pink salmon, and according to our fishing pro friend, they're no good to eat, so we released it.  The fish are such a tease; there are so many flopping around but I couldn't catch any anymore after that.  Then my socks got wet cuz I got careless, and I snagged the second-last lure... so I called it a day and went up to dry my things.

male pink salmon (freed)
dead zombie fish

My friend, on the other hand, caught two female pinks, and killed them on the spot.  It was sad...  she was apologizing as she did the deed.  At least we didn't go home empty-handed.  She gave her friend and me all the fish.  My mother was happy when she saw them, but was less happy when she realized she had to prep them :D
   
me posing with friend's first female pink salmon

雙魚座

one of the pinks had eggs.  i have no idea what my friends plan to do with them, but they look kinda gross...


All in all, it was a super fun fishing day.  I may consider investing in proper gear in the future.  Maybe one year investment for each piece of equipment har har.... I still wanna try ballroom...

P.S. I went home to pamper myself after exposing my skin to mother nature.  Plagued with eczema, my skin always acts up after a camping trip or whatnot.  Sooo after showering, I used the saem Gem Miracle Black Pearl O2 Bubble Mask.  It comes out as a speckled black gel (pics will come later), and seconds smoothing out, it bubbles up into a white foam.  So it doesn't give you a lot of time to spread it on your entire face.  I don't know how to describe the feeling when it foams up on my face; it kind of itches.  It definitely feels like something's expanding on your face 8) The foaming goes on for ~15-20 minutes or so.  Usually I leave it on for half an hour (just cuz I'm lazy), then rinse it off with warm water.  I then followed up with my last Black Pearl sheet face mask I had from the old batch (See previous post >here<). I can't stop touching my face 8)
I can sleep happy now.  As I've used the bubble mask a few times only, a more in-depth review will come later.

Alrighty, night night

No comments:

Post a Comment