Wednesday 18 September 2013

Skin care haul: Asian face masks, mostly

Hello, how are you~~


I feel like it has been a very exhausting week, but nothing productive (go figure).  Been lacking sleep x_x

My friend recently came back from Hong Kong, and she picked up a few things for me! I'm so blessed (:  I mainly asked for face masks, because it is a lot less expensive getting it in Asia.  Also asked for Laneige Water Sleeping Pack, and a Sunplay Super Block sunblock (not shown in picture).
  • Bird's Nest: Ultra whitening, nourishing, revitalizing ads
  • Black Pearl: whitening, nourishing
  • Natto: moisturizing, tightening
I have gone through the Black Pearl one, and tried Bulgarian White Rose (hydrating, whitening), as well as Beautymate's Anti-Blemish Reparing masks.  Both My Beauty Dairy and Beautymate face masks each come with a plastic mask folded in with the masks themselves, for easier unfolding.
Bird's Nest; Bulgarian White Rose; Black Pearl; Laneige Water Sleeping Pack; Natto; Aloe
I have very sensitive, dry/combination skin and to top it off, eczema (since birth). Sooo... these masks are most likely not good for my skin due to the fragrance and all.  However, my skin has good days, so I choose to use them then. I love the cooling I feel from the cold wet masks on my face after a shower, and they leave my skin feeling super hydrated the next morning. 

Black Pearl mask:

Claims: whitening, nourishing
Suitable for: all skin types; dull skin lacking elasticity
For the Black Pearl mask, it feels very hydrating, and my skin doesn't burn when I put it on. It actually does help with whitening as well, which i use post-summertime.   I opened up the new box, and noticed that the packaging changed.  I glanced at the ingredients and realized that  they have changed slightly also.  I hope the changes don't affect the outcome :(

The old one (bought ~2 years ago):
water; butylene glycol; glycerin; propylene glycol; aloe barbadensis leaf juice; sodium hyaluronate; ananas sativus (pineapple) fruit extract; citrus aurantifolia (lime) fruit extract; cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract; ubiquinone; laminaria digitata extract; soluble collagen; lecithin; hydrolyzed yeast protein; tritehanolamine; styrene/acrylates copolymer; dimethylsilanol hyaluronate; methylparaben; citric acid; hydrolyzed conchiolin protein; polysorbate 20; xanthan gum; carbomer; fragrance; sodium hydroxide; potassium hydroxide

The new one (bought ~2 weeks ago): 
water; butylene glycol; glycerin; propylene glycol; aloe barbadensis leaf juice; sodium hyaluronate; ananas sativus (pineapple) fruit extract; cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract; laminaria digitata extract; hydrolyzed yeast protein; triethanolamine; phenoxyethanol; chlorphenesin; glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract; codium tomentosum extract; lecithin; polysorbate 80; PEG-15 hydroxystearate; citric acid; hydrolyzed conchiolin protein; polysorbate 20; dipotassium glycyrrhizate; acer saccharum (sugar maple) extract; citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) fruit extract; citruis medica limonum (lemon) peel extract; malva sylvestris (mallow) flower extract; saccharum officinarum (sugar cane) extract; polyglutamic acid; iodopropynyl butylcarbamate; xanthan gum; carbomer; fragrance; sodium hydroxide; potassium hydroxide; glycosphingolipids; tocopherylacetate 

From what I see at a glance, there are a lot more chemicals in the newer one.  However, the old one had methylparaben, which is not in the newer one.  From a quick wiki search, parabens that are high in concentration I guess that's a good thing.

Bulgarian White Rose Mask (bought around the same time as the old Black Pearl masks):

Claims: whitening, brightening
Suitable for: all skin types; dull skin
It claims to have whitening and brightening effects.  Honestly, I use it for the smell, and extra hydration :p I didn't notice much of a whitening effect (Black Pearl one does better).  I probably would not repurchase this.

Ingredients:
water; butylene glycol; glycerin; propylene glycol; aloe barbdensis leaf juice; ananas sativus (pineapple) fruit extract; glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) leaf extract; arnica montana flower extract; triethanolamine; rosa centrifolia flower water; soluble collagen; laminaria digitata extract; actinidla chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract; styrene/acrylates copolymer; dimethylsilanol hyaluronate; polysorbate 20; methylparaben; cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract; sodium hyaluronate; citric acid; fragrance; carbomer; xanthan gum; sodium hydroxide; potassium hydroxide

Beautymate's (美肌之誌) Anti-Blemish Reparing Nano Series (控豆修護納米) (bought around the same time as the old Black Pearl & Bulgarian Rose masks):

Claims: replenish moister, regulate oil balance
Suitable for: all skin types; acne-prone skin
I use this when I feel like I am going to break out i.e. when I feel the bumps forming.  I used to get acne easily, but these few months (during summer, especially), my face has been clear.  These days I get them when I deprive my body of sleep (like right now... it's 12:30am and I still haven't showered yet). Mayhaps later I will share my skincare routine if anybody is interested.  Anyway, this mask helps with reducing redness, and I find that there is a lot more serum left over in the package, so I slather that onto my body :)  I do find this mask to be a bit sticky, but it absorbs quickly into my skin so it doesn't bother me too much.  Upon typing out the ingredients, I realized all the parabens included at the top of the list, so I probably will not repurchase this, unless they change the ingredients. More information provided on the box: Japanese Nano Technology: The newly imported nano technology, combined with a close-fitting mask cutting, can effectively release essence nutrients into skin cells to bring you a unique skin care experience.
Chamomile extract can calm down the skin and relieve redness.  Aloe provides natural moisture-locking factor to keep the skin supple and delicate in all environments, and is ideal for acne-prone skin.  Cucumber extract helps to regulate the water and oil level of the skin to prevent appearance of blemishes.

Ingredients:
butylene glycol; phenoxyethanol/methylparaben/ethylparaben/butylparaben/propylparaben/isobutylparaben; acrylate/C10-30 alkyl acrylate crosspolymer; xanthan gum; purified water; hyaluronic acid; actinidla chinensis (kiwi) fruit extract; mangifera indica (mango) fruit extract; cocos nucifera (coconut) extract; aloe barbadensis leaf juice; cucumis sativus (cucumber) fruit extract; sebacic acid; sodium polyacrylate gel/menthol; chamomilla recutita extract; phospholipids & ursolic acid; ethylene diamine tetraacetic acid disodium salt (EDTA-2Na); PEG-40 hydrogenated castor oil. methyl lactate 98%; fragrance; citric acid; sodium citrate

They are so expensive in Canada D: A pack of 10 sheets is ~$15-20CAD, when it is ~$5-7CAD in Hong Kong.  I guess that is why I splurge on them whenever I get the chance :)  Try them out if you haven't already.  It's a mini spa for me every time! That is all for this post.  I will update on the other face masks when I get around to try them.
Cheers~

No comments:

Post a Comment