Wednesday 11 September 2013

Kuma Japanese Restaurant

So my PI took us workmates to lunch, as two of our team members are leaving (or rather, graduated).  He picked out Kuma Japanese Restaurant, which is located at Dunbar & W18th Ave, across from the BC Liquor, if anyone knows the area.  We even got a ride in his fancy VW convertible there; my first time in one ever!  Let's just say that the ride was too short.  Anyway, I digress.
Our PI said that the place recently changed management.  As this was my first time there, I would not be able to compare.  Upon walking into the place, I noticed the woody theme that a lot of authentic Japanese restaurants seem to adopt; the tables, chairs, and even the plaque that menus were on were wood. Cultural artifacts were hanging around the place, such as wooden slippers (geta) and koi fish flags.  The servers wore an olive green wrap of some sort... some variation of a yukata? Ours pulled the order sheet from the folds. Very interesting.  There was a cute sign that says "Taste of Osaka" (rom. Oosaka no aji?) hanging by the teppan.
The restaurant's specialty was お好み焼き (rom. okonomiyaki), or Japanese savory crepe/pancake.  It can basically have anything mixed in, and reminds me of たこ焼き (takoyaki), or octopus balls.  We all ordered one each, and a sushi party tray to share.  The party tray came first and we devoured that really quickly.
 I'd have to say that the okonomiyaki took a looong time to arrive.  They were grilling them all on the spot.  Mayhaps they wanted to serve all seven at the same time?  They sure have a lot of teppan plates ;) I had the seafood one, and it was delish!  I'd say the size is good for one very hungry person, as it is quite filling with its cabbage and flour filler.  

I remembered trying okonomiyaki first at The Clubhouse Japanese Restaurant by W2nd and Crowe St, and that was really soggy... so much that I suspected it was undercooked... The sushi wasn't too spectacular; many places offer better.  The rice was a bit over-vinegared in my opinion.
Price-wise, it was standard sushi prices.  The okonomiyaki ranged from $10.95-12.95 I think, depending on which toppings you order.  The chicken, beef, pork were $10.95, and prawn/squid/seafood were more expensive.  
I would come again for their okonomiyaki :) 

Oh, exciting news!  My kid sister picked up the cute hobby that is polymer clay moulding.  She recently started a deviantart account to share her creations.  If interested, hop to HERE to check it out :)
Here's a preview:

Anyways, I missed a Skype call from my dear friend who's in Japan right now and I'm bummed, but I'm really sleepy so I'll retire tonight. Ciao~









No comments:

Post a Comment