Friday 4 August 2017

First Impression: Baker and Table Cafe


After work, I made the hubs drive us to check out this Japanese cafe that I have been hearing about.  The layout of the cafe was pretty simple, but what caught my eyes instantly was the showcase of 'melon pan' (melon bread).  You can find as much melon in these buns as you would find pineapple in 'pineapple buns' you find at Chinese bakeries (i.e. none ☺).


We bought one of each to go: melon pan, custard cream, and matcha mochi red bean.  As I was about to pay, I noticed that they also served ice cream (advertised as having '16% butter fat'), so we decided to order the vanilla (+$3) and have it served with the custard bun.

The ice cream was so GOOD!  Maybe it was the 16% butter fat, maybe it was the Birchwood Dairy Premium ice cream, but something about it tasted so nostalgic.  Having tried ice cream from so many places to date, this one tasted the most 'homey' to me.  I thought it was just ok with the bun, though.  The bun had enough flavour to stand on its own.

Regardless, it was a nice treat, and I would definitely go back to see how it looks fully stocked in the morning, with their different maki and pastries.  I eyed a curry pan on the way out... wish we hadn't just eaten dinner...

No comments:

Post a Comment